Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Word of the Cross

Three quick thoughts while meditating and praying tonight:

1. Christianity is under attack like never before in our country and there are many who look upon the Gospel and snicker, because the cynical non-education they received from our school systems. These people are perishing.

"For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing
foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" -
1Corinthians 1:18

2. When I get concerned about what is going on in the world and with my country, I return to Scripture to settle my mind.

"Come behold the works of the Lord, who has wrought desolations in the
earth. He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow
and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariots with fire. 'Cease
striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I
will be exalted in the earth.' The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of
Jacob is our stronghold. Selah" - Psalm 46:8-11

"Cease striving and know that I am God". Indeed. In other translations it is "Be still..." I love that line. It sets my mind at ease when I get wound up. I can read that passage or recall it and its as if the calm hand of God has rested upon my shoulder. "Be still. Put your mind at rest", I hear. I need permission sometimes, I guess.

3. Christians need to lead. Not as scolders in chief. Not as bitter people. But to love our neighbors. Walk along side of them and show them the strength of Our Lord.

"But take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to
the weak. For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's
temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things
sacrificed to idols? For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined,
the brother for whose sake Christ died." 1 Corinthians 8:9-11

Paul was speaking of dietary laws and the arguments between the Greek and Jewish parishoners in Corinth. But I think that we can use this metaphorically, in fact, I believe Paul intended for us to use it that way.

I believe that my faith in Christ is best protected, projected and promulgated in a free society. I believe that, as citizens, we have an obligation to use our freedom wisely and constructively. The weaker of us will be tempted by evil and lose that battle. Liberty will descend into mere libertine hell, and we will no longer be free to preach the Gospel without persecution. We can see that writing on the wall even now...if we are brave enough to look.

"The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold, Selah"

No comments:

Post a Comment